Skip to main content

My Mother's Only Child: Chapter 1 Getting Back Right...Pilates

      This Mother's Day weekend, May 14th, wasn't as hard for me as the previous ones after my mother's death. I believe the last four years of grief therapy has helped me a lot. But this year 2024, I got back to regular exercising. I previously would occasionally run on my treadmill at home, but I did something extra, and I joined Club Pilates. For me, I needed and wanted to join this trend of Black Women and Pilates but needed that desire to begin. A free one-day trial that led to a membership and a convenient location were the best incentives I needed to workout but at my own pace. I was so nervous and let's be real ...I was completely out of shape.  I noticed how out of shape I was on my first day...well the first few months really. But the staff, instructors and fellow workout buddies have made this journey of "getting back right' worth the sweat and soreness. Even though I have a long way to go, I can slowly see some results and I know my mother, Alma Jean would be proud.

Welcome to my new chapter!

"Getting Back Right"

My Mother's Only Child.

Sherri M. Littleton 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Only Daughter

 January 10, 2023     Today, I decided to not survive, but thrive! A few years ago I started writing on my blog again after the passing of my beautiful Mother, Alma Jean Dortch Littleton. It helped me to vent and at that time, begin my Life without her. But, I am not without her...she's here. I can feel her protecting me and guiding my decisions every day. She is just not here physically. Although many people in my family would always call me her junior, it is more apparent now. The way I jumped into hosting mode to make sure my entire home was cleaned, food stocked, fresh sheets and towels available for family coming from out of town for her funeral, all while looking well put together, was such a mom thing. I made sure everyone was comfortable and couldn't stop cleaning and hosting. I could see the worry in my aunts, uncle and cousins eyes. I couldn't stop making sure everything was perfect.       Perfect for MY MOM's FUNERAL and for the family. She ...

My Mother's Only Child. I Voted!!!

      I have memories of my mother being excited to see me vote for the first time. It was at the public library and the excitement that we had was quite overwhelming. Years later, after her death I felt my mom with me today as I voted for a person that represents me and many others in this country. I could feel her hug on me as I became emotional while stepping up in line. I feel confident, calm and excited! Yes, it's still a bit overwhelming and as tired as I am, I am READY!!! We got this!!! My Mothers Only Child. 

My Mother's Only Child. 4th of July Memories

     This 4th of July weekend, I remember the tradition mom and I had of going to see the fireworks in the STL area. Sometimes, she would take me and a friend to the Arch grounds, listen to the music and watch the colorful display. Even though it was crowded, we would always make our own little space onto the ST Louis arch steps and celebrate our Nation's Independence Day. Later in years, we would sit with the crowds, have picnics on blankets, chairs or on our cars in the parking lots of January Wabash Park while safely watching the professional beautiful display put on by the city of Ferguson. After we moved toward west county, we would sit among the crowd in the Chesterfield Mall parking lot and watch the fireworks in a distance. I still have video footage of that.       Simple, peaceful and loving memories of me and my mom on the 4th of July throughout the years wouldn't be complete without good food.  Baked beans, hot dogs, chicken, spagh...