Skip to main content

My Mother's Only Child. Cornbread Dressing

     For the first time since my mother's death 4 years ago, I made a decision to cook at home and not participate in a Friendsgiving this year. I have some of the loveliest people in my inner circle that have truly been there for me, but I needed to cook and recreate my mother's dishes. So that is what I did. I made a complete Thanksgiving dinner, like I've done many times before, but just for me. Although that may seem lonely for some, I delighted in prepping the same way my mother would for the holidays. I got up early in the morning, started on the pie and chopped the veggies, marinated the meat and made the sides. I was humming the entire time and loved it. But something different was that I added a bit of my grandmother's recipe into the dressing. I used celery, not celery salt but actually celery. Anyone that knows me understands how much I usually cannot stand the taste of celery. It was to the point that my mother stopped using it all together. But this year, I had celery for another recipe and decided to include it in the cornbread dressing.  I have to say grandma was right. It was delicious and I could feel her smiling over me as I made it. 

    Sometimes it pays to try something old to make new memories. It can be worth it!


Sherri M. Littleton

My Mother's Only Child

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Only Daughter

 January 10, 2023     Today, I decided to not survive, but thrive! A few years ago I started writing on my blog again after the passing of my beautiful Mother, Alma Jean Dortch Littleton. It helped me to vent and at that time, begin my Life without her. But, I am not without her...she's here. I can feel her protecting me and guiding my decisions every day. She is just not here physically. Although many people in my family would always call me her junior, it is more apparent now. The way I jumped into hosting mode to make sure my entire home was cleaned, food stocked, fresh sheets and towels available for family coming from out of town for her funeral, all while looking well put together, was such a mom thing. I made sure everyone was comfortable and couldn't stop cleaning and hosting. I could see the worry in my aunts, uncle and cousins eyes. I couldn't stop making sure everything was perfect.       Perfect for MY MOM's FUNERAL and for the family. She ...

My Mother's Only Child. I Voted!!!

      I have memories of my mother being excited to see me vote for the first time. It was at the public library and the excitement that we had was quite overwhelming. Years later, after her death I felt my mom with me today as I voted for a person that represents me and many others in this country. I could feel her hug on me as I became emotional while stepping up in line. I feel confident, calm and excited! Yes, it's still a bit overwhelming and as tired as I am, I am READY!!! We got this!!! My Mothers Only Child. 

My Mother's Only Child- Happy Birthday.

 Today was my Mother's Birthday and I celebrated it the best way by attending a game for her favorite baseball team, The St Louis Cardinals.  It was such a wonderful time. Wholesome, relaxing and felt great existing in a space to celebrate our home team.  Just a few words to say Happy Birthday Mom and Go Cards! My Mother's Only Child, Sherri M. Littleton