Skip to main content

My Mother's Only Child: Worry about Yourself!

     Mamma always said that she raised me to be different, not to ever settle but excel! In doing so, she prepared me for compliments, success and jealousy. Not jealousy of me having things but resentment that I was Loved, encouraged and protected by her! It took me to reach my adult years to truly understand what she meant. Many people that I know were also raised by divorced parents, single parents and many had both parents still in the house. However only a handful of us were raised to know the sky had no limits and therefore we were always encouraged to chase our dreams. My mother raised me to go for what I wanted no matter how long it took or how scary the road was to get there. Try, try harder, start over and then Achieve!!! 

It took me years to understand that others settling in Life isn't my problem because I was raised to know that I don't have to!  

Thank you mama.

Sherri M Littleton 

My Mother's Only Child 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Only Daughter

 January 10, 2023     Today, I decided to not survive, but thrive! A few years ago I started writing on my blog again after the passing of my beautiful Mother, Alma Jean Dortch Littleton. It helped me to vent and at that time, begin my Life without her. But, I am not without her...she's here. I can feel her protecting me and guiding my decisions every day. She is just not here physically. Although many people in my family would always call me her junior, it is more apparent now. The way I jumped into hosting mode to make sure my entire home was cleaned, food stocked, fresh sheets and towels available for family coming from out of town for her funeral, all while looking well put together, was such a mom thing. I made sure everyone was comfortable and couldn't stop cleaning and hosting. I could see the worry in my aunts, uncle and cousins eyes. I couldn't stop making sure everything was perfect.       Perfect for MY MOM's FUNERAL and for the family. She ...

My Mother's Only Child. I Voted!!!

      I have memories of my mother being excited to see me vote for the first time. It was at the public library and the excitement that we had was quite overwhelming. Years later, after her death I felt my mom with me today as I voted for a person that represents me and many others in this country. I could feel her hug on me as I became emotional while stepping up in line. I feel confident, calm and excited! Yes, it's still a bit overwhelming and as tired as I am, I am READY!!! We got this!!! My Mothers Only Child. 

My Mother's Only Child. 4th of July Memories

     This 4th of July weekend, I remember the tradition mom and I had of going to see the fireworks in the STL area. Sometimes, she would take me and a friend to the Arch grounds, listen to the music and watch the colorful display. Even though it was crowded, we would always make our own little space onto the ST Louis arch steps and celebrate our Nation's Independence Day. Later in years, we would sit with the crowds, have picnics on blankets, chairs or on our cars in the parking lots of January Wabash Park while safely watching the professional beautiful display put on by the city of Ferguson. After we moved toward west county, we would sit among the crowd in the Chesterfield Mall parking lot and watch the fireworks in a distance. I still have video footage of that.       Simple, peaceful and loving memories of me and my mom on the 4th of July throughout the years wouldn't be complete without good food.  Baked beans, hot dogs, chicken, spagh...