Skip to main content

My Mother's Only Child 3. Smarty Pants

     I can be a lot. I know this very well but a lot was expected of me. My mom and her siblings, especially her older brother Robert (who is now in Heaven with her), always discussed how she was one of the smartest kids in their school growing up. I laughed at the stories my uncle  would tell about how my mom was so smart that she was able to skip grades and be in class with him. He joked about how she would have to stand on the chair to see over the class as a teacher's assistant (my mom was short and so am I).  She was always at the top of her class and therefore good grades was expected of me. However,  as my mom would say, I waited to college to actually enjoy school and value my education. Many many degrees later, she was right. On her birthday, April 16th, I will have a bowl of her favorite ice cream and indulge in one of her favorite meals. I will also celebrate the years that she was alive, remember the goals that she had and the sacrifices that she made for me. After all, as my uncle Robert would say, I am Alma Jean Jr. 

I am My Mother's Only Child. 

Sherri M. Littleton 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Only Daughter

 January 10, 2023     Today, I decided to not survive, but thrive! A few years ago I started writing on my blog again after the passing of my beautiful Mother, Alma Jean Dortch Littleton. It helped me to vent and at that time, begin my Life without her. But, I am not without her...she's here. I can feel her protecting me and guiding my decisions every day. She is just not here physically. Although many people in my family would always call me her junior, it is more apparent now. The way I jumped into hosting mode to make sure my entire home was cleaned, food stocked, fresh sheets and towels available for family coming from out of town for her funeral, all while looking well put together, was such a mom thing. I made sure everyone was comfortable and couldn't stop cleaning and hosting. I could see the worry in my aunts, uncle and cousins eyes. I couldn't stop making sure everything was perfect.       Perfect for MY MOM's FUNERAL and for the family. She ...

My Mother's Only Child. I Voted!!!

      I have memories of my mother being excited to see me vote for the first time. It was at the public library and the excitement that we had was quite overwhelming. Years later, after her death I felt my mom with me today as I voted for a person that represents me and many others in this country. I could feel her hug on me as I became emotional while stepping up in line. I feel confident, calm and excited! Yes, it's still a bit overwhelming and as tired as I am, I am READY!!! We got this!!! My Mothers Only Child. 

My Mother's Only Child. 4th of July Memories

     This 4th of July weekend, I remember the tradition mom and I had of going to see the fireworks in the STL area. Sometimes, she would take me and a friend to the Arch grounds, listen to the music and watch the colorful display. Even though it was crowded, we would always make our own little space onto the ST Louis arch steps and celebrate our Nation's Independence Day. Later in years, we would sit with the crowds, have picnics on blankets, chairs or on our cars in the parking lots of January Wabash Park while safely watching the professional beautiful display put on by the city of Ferguson. After we moved toward west county, we would sit among the crowd in the Chesterfield Mall parking lot and watch the fireworks in a distance. I still have video footage of that.       Simple, peaceful and loving memories of me and my mom on the 4th of July throughout the years wouldn't be complete without good food.  Baked beans, hot dogs, chicken, spagh...